COVID-19 and the fourth Industrial Revolution (which has stepped underway) has transformed our lives like never before. The ones that will suffer the most due to this change are the students from the batch of 2020. Till date, they have faced many changes and challenges, such as – the uncertainty of exams, delayed exams, modification of results and subsequently delay in college admissions. To add over these challenges, changing employment opportunities is acting like fuel to fire for the batch of 2020.
History has proved that a phase of trauma and pain is followed by the phase of innovation and advancement. Batch after the last pandemic in 1920 was referred to as “The roaring 20’s” for their ability to thrive through the challenges put forth by the unprecedented crisis.
If you’re a student of the batch 2020 and are on the verge of deciding your career path, then do keep the following things in mind:
- Skills set required for job’s available tomorrow
- Personality and Aptitude matching for the skillset
Steps to decide the Career
Here are some steps that you can follow to make the career choices easy:
1. Focus on Strengths & Weaknesses
- Jot down your strengths and weakness, a personal SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunities and Threats) exercise analysis always help. Eg – Excellence in quantitative subject can be one’s strength, lack of concentration during the theory subject can be a weakness.
- Consider those careers where your strength matches the skills required for jobs. This will help you to probably shine and exceed in your career with gaining knowledge and sharpening skills.
2. Introspection: Pen down whatever you know about yourself, for instance about your likes and dislikes, about your personality trait like you’re an introvert, extrovert etc. E.g. – Do not pursue media or marketing course if you do not enjoy interacting with others or if you have introvert personality. Likewise, if you do not enjoy being physically active, avoid a career in the construction industry.
3. Reason to pursue the career: The most crucial question to answer for yourself should be “why I am selecting this course?”
- If the answer to the above question comes towards yourself, then you are on the right track. For instance, “I am passionate about it, I am inspired by someone, I enjoy doing it.”
- If the answer to the above question takes you away from yourself, then reconsider your decision. E.g. – My friend is doing so I want to do, my parents are pressuring me to take up this as a career.
- Choose a career or field for which reason is yours and not others to save time and avoid career dissatisfaction
4. Career Prospects
- Give an early thought to whether you want to be employed, self-employed, freelance consultant or an entrepreneur
- Pursue careers with eagle eyesight about the sectors and industries booming and will continue to boom.
- It’s very frustrating to lose employment at the beginning of one’s career and face the challenge to reskill or change the sector.
5. Work-Life Balance
- Lastly, one important parameter is the ability to manage work-life balance.
- Career choices can affect your personal life. Likewise, consider whether your selected career provides benefits and an outsized enough annual salary to support your lifestyle.
It is utmost important to choose the right career pathway that can ensure career stability while keeping your passion and interest in a specific field in mind.
Career Options as per Stream
Here are some career options that you can opt for as per your interest. We’ve jotted down the courses as per their skill requirements and stream so that you can take your time and go for the career you want.
|Commerce||Administrative skills||Management (BBA, MBA/MMS)|
|Monitoring skills||Law ( LLB)|
|Numeracy Skills||Hotel management (BHM)|
|Chartered Accountancy (CA)|
|Company Secretary (CS)|
|Degree in Designing|
|Science||Analytical skills||Engineering (BE in various fields0|
|Allied Health Professional|
|Arts||Art performing skills like dancing, singing, etc.||BA (fine Arts)|
|Communication skills||Mass Communication|
|Creative thinking||B. Ed /M. Ed
|Teaching and training skills|
|Vocational||Hardworking||Allied Health Professional|
|Confident||Beauty & wellness|
|Earn while you learn||Graphic designing|
|Short term courses
|Medical coding and many more|
A Career in Allied Healthcare
As per a report by India Health & Wellness Services, the Indian Healthcare industry will increase to Rs 8.6 trillion by the year 2022. There is a steady growth in the country’s medical industry, which has ultimately led to the transformation of India into a provider of high-end diagnostic services and advanced diagnostic facilities. Thus, it can be said that it is the right time to make a career in the healthcare sector.
Analysing the current scenario of the healthcare sector, Tech Mahindra Foundation introduced the SMART Healthcare Academies. At present, there are three Tech Mahindra SMART Academies for Healthcare dedicated to skilling youth to become allied healthcare professionals. A total of 14 courses are being offered at these SMART Academies, which are located in Delhi, Mohali and Mumbai. Apart from healthcare training, students are also trained in the foundation courses such as Basic IT skills, English Language and Soft Skills.